There’s a lot to consider when buying a new set of bedding- after all, we do spend a lot of time between the sheets.
In fact, the average human spends 26 years of their lives asleep.
You care about what you put into your body. You make sure your home is a clean, non-toxic space… so wouldn’t you want to make sure that somewhere you’re spending a third of your life is a healthy environment as well?
You ensure that you use organic cleaning products and cruelty-free toiletries – but what about your sheets? Are they non-toxic? Are they sourced responsibly? And what material is comfiest for you and Mama Earth?
We got you.
Here, we’ll explore the best options for purchasing ethical, sustainably made, organic sheets. We’ve made a list of 10 top brands for eco-friendly bedding.
But before we get to our list, let’s demystify all the stamps and certifications associated with non-toxic, sustainably made bedding. Knowing what each seal means will make it easier for you to pick out your perfect pair! Tuck in, and read on.
- GOTS : Stands for Global Organic Textile Standard. This stamp of approval means that the product is made up of at least 70% organic fibers.
- Fair Trade : The Fair Trade Certified™ seal ensures that the product was made in compliance with intense ethical business standards. The farmers and workers who were involved in making the product were paid a fair wage and worked in quality conditions. This is a rigorous process, taking 6-9 months and involving multiple parts, such as a third party auditor. If it has the Fair Trade stamp, no human beings were exploited in its making!
- Greenguard Gold : This means that the product is certified to have low chemical emissions. It is guaranteed to give off only low levels of VOC’s (volatile organic compounds). An example of a VOC is formaldehyde, which is present in most industries and many household products. These toxic chemicals can cause problems in respiration, and irritate the eyes, nose and throat. Indoor pollution is often worse than outside, due to the chemical emissions that come from things we buy.
- Certified B Corporation : From their website, “Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose.” Essentially, if it’s a Certified B Corporation, it’s a really good company; they can be trusted to be doing the best for their workers, their communities, and the environment.
- MADE SAFE® : A US company that certifies products contain no trace of the following: behavioral toxins, neurotoxins, carcinogens, fire retardants, heavy metals, high risk pesticides, harmful VOC’s, and more. This seal means that the product is made with only safe ingredients that have no human health impacts.
- OEKO-TEX® : Similar to the certification above, OEKO-TEX® certifies that the product is free of substances harmful to human health. Their STANDARD 100 label means that the product has been tested for 100 harmful substances and is clear of all. Their MADE IN GREEN label certifies that the product is free of said substances, as well as made using sustainable and responsible methods.
Phew! Now that you speak ethical product labeling, let’s get to the goods.
BIOWEAVES ($74.99 Queen Set) is our top choice because of its luxurious feel and durability at such a great price. GOTS certified and 300 thread count organic cotton with a silky, sateen weave will bring you to sweet dreams in no time. We especially love the deep pocket feature.
Awara Sleep ($189-229 Queen Set) GOTS certified, Fair Trade Certified™, SOL stands for Sustainable Organic Living. Available in percale, sateen, flannel, and linen, we love that SOL offers a 30 day money-back guarantee and free shipping on orders over $50.
Coyuchi has such a wide selection of options and so many first-time buyer deals that we can’t even calculate the price range. They carry everything from Jersey sheets to their own patented Cloud Brushed™ flannel duvet sets. Coyuchi is GOTS certified, Fair Trade Certified™, MADE SAFE® and just about every other certification you can think of. They also donate through 1% For the Planet, an organization who focuses on non profits that want to positively impact the environment.
Boll and Branch ($188-318 Queen Set) is on the map because of how luxurious they feel. Though they have many fantastic options, we love Boll and Branch’s 500 count Luxe set. The liquid drape and exquisite hand feel leaves us feeling like Sleeping Beauty. Boll and Branch is GOTS Certified, Fair Trade Certified™, and bears the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® seal. You’ll never want to leave your bed!
Avocado ($109-409 Queen Set) was the first carbon negative mattress company in history. They are a Certified B Corporation. Their sheets are Vegan and GOTS Certified, and have the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® and MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® stamps. No big deal. We’re a big fan of Avocado’s cheapest set, which comes in 400 thread count cotton.
Under The Canopy ($75-$95 Queen Set) is awesome for its affordability. They’re GOTS and MADE IN GREEN by OEKO-TEX® certified. They’re also certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, whose website states that they, “ensure that products come from responsibly managed forests that provide environmental, social and economic benefits.” Their products arrive plastic-free in organic, reusable cotton bags.
Savvy Rest ($129 Queen Set) is a great option for the no-frills shopper. With just one option to choose from, you can click, pay, and close your laptop knowing that GOTS Certified sateen sheets are on their way in 7 days or less. Savvy Rest is on the list because they’re a Certified B Corporation with great customer reviews, and they offer a monthly payment plan with as little $11/mo for the Queen set. They also donate organic pillows to domestic violence shelters.
Snowe ($245-345 Queen Set) presents stunning sheets milled in Italy. From 500 thread count percale to Italian linen, woven from Belgian Flax, Snowe is soft. They feel as glamorous as they sound, due to a proprietary air-washing technology. Snowe’s sheets are OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 certified and come with a 60 day no risk trial period. They offer free shipping and returns.
The Citizenry ($240-250 Queen Set) offers GOTS Certified and OEKO-TEX® stamped Turkish cotton or stonewashed Portuguese linen. These sheet sets are quite elegant and come in calming earth tones. Their linen mill in Portugal is family-run and provides fair trade working conditions. Like others on this list, The Citizenry offers a 30 day money-back guarantee.
Looma ($208-300) is a company who sources their organic cotton from the Himalayas, where the only irrigation is rainwater. This provides a silky-smooth finish that is four times as durable as conventional cotton. Looma does something special with their proceeds: for every set sold, they sponsor a girl in India for one month’s schooling. So far they’ve sponsored 10,000 girls! Our hats are off to Looma for being sustainably made and ethically run. Oh and of course, they are GOTS Certified and OEKO-TEX® approved.
Any of the options above are a great choice for you and our planet. Happy sleeping!
For more bedroom hints check out our organic mattress guide or our eco-friendly nursery room hints.